I’ve been trying to prepare more seafood because we really love it and its easy to make and healthy. Quinoa has been my favorite grain for a long time and I’m surprised that so many people just now seem to be discovering it. Quinoa is a seed and is considered a complete protein, so it’s also very healthy. It cooks faster than rice, which makes it a great weeknight option. I’ve been making quinoa dishes for years and this Fiesta Quinoa is one of my standbys. Don’t overcook the quinoa or it will be mushy. I prefer red quinoa to white for the firmer texture, but used white in the recipe this time.
- 1 cup red or white quinoa
- 2 1/4 cups water or preferred broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced or 3 tablespoons dried, minced onion
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)
- handful of diced or shredded carrots
- 1 pepper, diced (I used frozen tri-pepper blend)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (which I forgot to add)
- juice of one lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- If using fresh onion and garlic, add a spray or drizzle of oil in a medium saucepan with the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Add quinoa and water/broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in corn, carrots, and peppers. Simmer 5 more minutes or until most of the quinoa seeds open up. Quinoa is done when the germ separates from the seed and you can see the little spiral-like piece attached.
- Remove from heat and stir in black beans, cumin, cayenne, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper.
This can be served warm or cold, depending on preference.
- Haddock Fillets, thawed, rinsed, and patted dry
- seafood rub or favorite seasonings – lemon pepper is always good too
- Heat a little oil in nonstick or cast iron pan.
- While oil is heating, pat seafood rub on both sides of fish
- Place fish in the pan and cook for 4 minutes until it turns easily
- Flip and cook 2 minutes or until done (will depend on thickness)
- Remove from pan and serve