I found myself with spinach and avocado in the fridge, and some ground chicken in the freezer and remembered seeing a pin about chicken and avocado burgers, so I pulled the chicken to thaw overnight. This recipe is really customizable because the burgers take on the flavor of the spices that you add.
For the crumbs, toast gluten-free bread and crumble it, or used crushed gluten-free crackers, pretzels, or chips. I keep a container in the freezer to which I add leftover or stale crackers and pretzels to use in recipes like this. There’s a bonus of extra flavor by using these in place of plain breadcrumbs as well. If you are using crumbs that are salted, leave the salt out from the ingredient list.
These were so easy to mix up – I did most of it while holding my baby and stuck the mixture in the fridge until we were ready to form patties and cook them. They turned out really well and are something I’ll definitely make again. We just ate them with oven-baked frozen fries. I asked Loren what vegetable we should have and he decided that there were enough vegetables in the burgers. I couldn’t really argue because I didn’t want to bother making a vegetable either.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large ripe avocado – cut into small chunks
- ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs, or gf crackers or pretzels, crushed
- 1 chopped clove of garlic
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach, torn
- couple of shakes of your favorite spices (I used Trader Joes 21 Seasoning Salute and red pepper flakes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the chunks of avocado, crumbs, garlic, and seasonings together.
- Gently blend mixture and torn spinach into ground chicken, leaving chunks of avocado.
- Form into 4 or 5 patties and cook in a skillet, in a grill pan, or on the grill until cooked through to 165 degrees.