Jenson really started mocking our words and sounds this week. He was chewing on his baby toothbrush one morning and I said “do you have your toothbrush?” He said “toothbrush” perfectly clear. Mary Louise heard it too – we were both shocked! He can repeat yellow, blue, and ball to us as well. It seems so crazy that he’s saying so many words.
Said toothbrush perfectly clear when I said it to him. Other words he mastered this week are yellow, blue, and ball. He mocks sounds that we make in similar pitches.
Photo Favorites: September 29 – October 5, 2014
1. After bathtime
2. He scoots all over the crib at night. In an effort to get him to sleep better, we started comforting him when he wakes without picking him up. He doesn’t seem to need to night nurse anymore, so we just do our best to settle him by rubbing his back or tummy when he wakes, or lay him back down when he stands up. He usually starts crying and wakes up when he scoots too far to the top of the crib and his head is against the rails. If we could just get him to stop scooting, he’d probably stay asleep.
3. and 4. We let him play in the plastic container cabinet in the kitchen so he’s not getting into things he shouldn’t. I love the serious look on his face in these two pictures. You can see he was throwing the container at me in the last one.
5. Playing with Lo’s tablet
6. and 7. Getting into the pan cabinet – we ended up having to put a lock on this one because it has heavy stuff in it, as well as a slide out metal drawer, which could hurt him if he fell and pulled it on himself.
8. Grabbing for the camera
9. I pulled into the parking lot for work one day and there was a pile of stuff in the spot where I usually park. Once I parked and got out of my car, I realized it was two people and a dog “camped out”. I couldn’t tell whether they were homeless or if they were people who were walking for a cause, like people do sometimes. I wanted to see if they needed anything, but they were sleeping and I didn’t want to wake them. The dog looked so sweet though.
10. We went to look at houses on Saturday. We are hoping to move to the country so we can have a little bit of land. We love our house and neighbors, we just don’t love where it’s located and how long it takes us to get to work. Of the houses that we saw, none were “just right”…one was really unique, but needed lots of updating (see bathtub below!), one had an amazing updated farmhouse, but was on a boring piece of land, one was a pretty nice piece of land, but the house was nothing special, and the last one was a great house and great property, but just too far away for daily commuting, and would be a bad road in the winter.
11. I was trying to entertain Jenson in one of the houses, so we were playing with Lo’s phone.
12. Reading books before bed.
13. – 16. We went apple picking at Lynd’s Fruit Farm with friends. It was a great day for it – sunny, but with a slight chill to the air.
17. The angle of his head make his hat look like a fox mask.
18. Eating apples from the trees with 2 of his favorite friends
19. – 20. He loved gnawing on an apple again
21. – 24. He’s 52 weeks old! This was the last weekly photo shoot and it wasn’t easy to distract him enough to leave the sticker on. But I finally got some cute ones! I’m so glad I persisted with the weekly shoots. I organized them in an album for his birthday party, and it’ll be great to be able to flip through it over the years. Next kid won’t wear a sticker though…we’ll use a chalkboard or something!
25. – 28. He wasn’t a year old until October 6, but I did the photos on the same day to try to make it easier. His face in the last two are clearly telling me that he’s done with these. I cannot believe it’s been 12 months. He is ridiculously amazing. We got so lucky with this kid and we love him to pieces. It’s crazy how much he’s changed over this year and the next year is going to be so fun as he becomes more communicative.