Salted Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark
I love salty sweet chocolate goodness and one of my favorite candy recipes that was usually reserved for Christmas was Saltine Candy or Saltine Toffee Candy. Since saltines aren’t gluten free and there aren’t any good substitutions, I made the recipe with gluten free pretzels instead – so Salted Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark was born! I made it for Christmas and loved it, so I decided to make it for a Valentine’s Day party. It was just as good this time – salty sweet chocolate goodness!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- gluten free mini pretzels
- 12-oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- sea salt
- m&m’s, optional
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray lightly with nonstick spray. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. As it melts, cover the baking sheet with mini pretzels. Don’t worry if they overlap some, but you don’t want double layer all over.
- Once the butter is melted, add the sugar and stir to incorporate. Allow the sugar and butter to simmer without boiling, stirring occasionally. The browning process should take about three minutes from when it starts to bubble.
- Once the sugar and butter have caramelized, pour the mixture evenly up and down the length of the baking sheet, trying to cover all of the pretzels with the mixture. Quickly smooth any clumps with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Bake the pretzel-caramel mixture in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 15 seconds so prevent burning, or over a double boiler on the stovetop. To set up a double boiler, fill a saucepan 1/4 full with water and set a heatsafe bowl on top of the pan, making sure the water won’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Pour the chocolate chips into the bowl and stir constantly until they’re completely melted.
- Remove the pretzel mixture from the oven and pour the chocolate over the pretzel-caramel mixture evenly, covering all of the pretzel toffee mixture. Spread any remaining thick spots of chocolate with a spatula. Add m&m’s if desired
- Sprinkle sea salt evenly over the bark. Place it in the fridge to cool and harden for about an hour.
- Break into pieces.