Gluten Free Baked Quinoa and Cheese
We had to work Christmas Eve and were heading to celebrate Christmas with Lo’s family in the morning. I was craving a mac and cheese type dish (gluten free, of course) but didn’t feel like dealing with a difficult recipe and making a roux and all of that. I remembered that I had a Baked Quinoa and Cheese recipe pinned and decided it would be a perfect, easy substitution to prepare. I love quinoa and I needed to use up some of the produce I had in the fridge before it ended up in the composter.
We picked up some chicken sausages and some good cheese for shredding and invited our friend over for dinner who was on his own that night. I prepped this while I was making Cabbage and Cheddar Gratin for Christmas dinner the next day. Remember how I said I’d take a picture of that the next time I made it? I forgot.
The Baked Quinoa and Cheese was a super simple meal alongside of the sausages, and everyone really liked it. Maybe not fancy enough for Christmas Eve, but after working all day and prepping food for the next day, it was good enough for us. The leftovers heated up well and I will definitely make this again – soon! Next time I’ll probably cut up cooked sausages and mix it right in.
At least it looked Christmas-y!Before Baking:Gluten Free Baked Quinoa and Cheese
Inspired by a recipe from Around the Table
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- Veggies of your choice (I used red onions, red pepper, spinach)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- a few shakes of your favorite seasoning (I recommend Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute)
- red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, more for sprinkling
- Toppings (optional)- salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, scallions
- Lightly saute the vegetables you’re using. I added a splash of balsamic during saute. I did not saute my spinach – I just stirred it in.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13×9 inch dish with cooking spray.
- Cook quinoa to packaged instructions until fully cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and seasoning in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese. Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt. Transfer to prepared baking dish and bake 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for 5 minutes until slightly browned.
.Do you have a favorite mac/rice/or quinoa and cheese recipe?