Lentil Soup and Grilled Cheese
Lo made Lentil Soup and build-your-own grilled cheese for our Sunday movie night with our friends at my urging. The grilled cheese sounded great to me, so the soup was just a good option to go along with it and perfect for a chilly Sunday. I was at a volleyball game while he was making the food and had given him a recipe to base the soup off of. It turned out that the recipe was not very good – it just used water without broth, so when we tasted it when I got home, we made some adaptations that I added to the recipe below. This soup is simple because you can make it on the stovetop or in the slow cooker. I somehow forgot to take a picture of the soup, even though I had it for leftovers a few times.
For the grilled cheese, he picked up a couple of types of nice cheese, and we laid out pepperoni, sundried tomatoes, avocado, and chipotle hummus. We assembled our own grilled cheeses and cooked them in the cast iron skillet. It was fantastic!
- 2 cups dried lentils (green or brown), rinsed
- 8 cups broth (or add concentrated chicken stock to water)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- healthy sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- splash of worchestershire sauce
- Cook lentils in broth until softened, about 15 minutes. Add rest of the ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place lentils in slow cooker and cover with water/broth. Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Add tomatoes, red wine vinegar, and worchestershire sauce. Heat through for 15 minutes.
Again, sorry for the lack of picture, but it’s just soup. You probably wouldn’t have been too impressed with it anyway.