I love the bags of those cute mini peppers at the grocery store. I know bell peppers “should” be purchased organically because they are part of the dirty dozen, but the list doesn’t specify mini sweet peppers, so I’ll just pretend like these are okay and make sure to wash them with soap.
I bought the peppers on impulse when they were on sale and didn’t know what I wanted to do with them. We were grilling one night and I decided that they could be stuffed and grilled like jalepeno poppers. I just made up a recipe and sent them out to the grill with Lo and told him to grill them on the top rack until grill marks appeared.
They turned out really well and I made them a few days later when a friend was coming over, since I still had some left in the bag. Lo doesn’t love cream cheese-based foods usually, but he ate these. I guess his love of cheese overshadowed the cream cheese.
The would be fantastic with pieces of cooked bacon stirred in, but we didn’t have any bacon. Maybe next time…
- 8 mini sweet peppers, halved lengthwise with seeds removed
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened (reduced fat works fine)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ground pepper, to taste
- favorite seasonings: I used 21 seasoning salute from Trader Joe’s, to taste
- (other good options would be garlic powder and red pepper flakes)
- Spray grill top rack (or grill pan) with cooking spray. Heat grill to medium.
- Blend together cream cheese, shredded cheese, and seasonings.
- Taste; add more of whatever you think it needs.
- Spoon filling in each pepper. I used a baby spoon and that was simple. Alternatively, you could spoon the filling into a baggie and snip the corner to squeeze the filling into the peppers (especially if you are doubling or tripling the recipe for a party).
- Grill on top grill rack for 15-20 minutes until slightly softened with grill marks on the bottom. If grill only has one rack, grill for 5-7 minutes.