Gluten Free Red Velvet Cream Cheese Bars
I posted this recipe for Gluten Free Red Velvet Cream Cheese Bars last year, but I thought this was the perfect opportunity to post it again in case you were looking for a Valentine’s treat to make. The ingredients are fairly simple and stuff that I always have in my pantry and fridge. I hadn’t planned to make these this year, but now I want them again!
Lo’s favorite cake is was Red Velvet. I ruined it. One day when he was expressing his love for red velvet cake, I asked whether he knew that the red color just came from red food coloring. He did not realize that. He thought it was something special. He still loves the taste, but it is no longer magical. I feel bad about it. When I saw these Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Bars, I knew that I wanted to make them for him. But since love is all about sharing, I changed them so they would be gluten-free for me (and we don’t have regular flour anymore). I’m thrilled with how these turned out – gluten free baked goods can be iffy. They are light and creamy and not too sweet. They taste like a layer of cheesecake on top of a brownie and are so pretty!
- Red Velvet layer:
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour (or regular white) – I used Jules Gluten Free All Purpose
- Cream cheese layer:
- 8 oz cream cheese (I use 1/3 less fat)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8×8″ baking dish with parchment paper or foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine melted butter with sugar and mix well. Add vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar in that order, mixing between additions.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each. Fold in the flour. Pour all batter except 1/4 cup into prepared baking pan.
- To make the cream cheese layer, blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Spread the cream cheese on top of brownie batter. Drop dollops of remaining brownie batter over cream cheese layer and using a knife, swirl through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern.
- Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven and cool completely before cutting into squares.